Bermuda’s Atlantic location is a prime spot for beautiful weather, with sunny skies and comfortable temperatures. The winters average a pleasant temperature of 21 C and summer temperatures range between 24 C and 29 C.
When to fly to Bermuda
Cheap flights to Bermuda take about only three hours from Eastern Canada.
Peak season occurs during other islands' off seasons. Most visitors arrive between March and November when temperatures are a comfortable 24-27 degrees Celsius (75-80F). It's perfect swimming weather too, with water temperatures about 29 degrees (84F). Rainfall in Bermuda comes as quick, short-lived showers. Officially, hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30, but Bermuda tends to escape and the U.S. takes the hit. This is because of Bermuda's northerly latitude and the Atlantic waters that flow around its shores.
Bermuda's off season is the opposite of that in the Caribbean. It begins in December and lasts until the start of March.
Getting around Bermuda
Renting a car is not an option on Bermuda but visitors can hire scooters for use as private transport, or use the excellent and cheap public transportation. The bus system consists of pink and blue air-conditioned buses. Tokens, tickets and passes are available from the PTB Central Terminal in Hamilton and at several hotels and gues houses and from the Visitors Service Bureau. There are three year-round ferry services linking Hamilton-Paget-Warwick, Hamilton-Rockaway and Hamilton-West End (Somerset)-Dockyard. There are also high-speed catamarans that ply the seas in summer.
Bermuda insider information
- The island's most popular visitor attraction is the Royal Naval Dockyard. Built by the British, using slaves and convicts shipped from England, it was intended to be the "Gibraltar of the West". The dockyard remained a major Atlantic outpost for the British until 1951. Today, it includes the Bermuda Maritime Museum and Dolphin Quest and a shopping centre, the Clocktower Mall.
- Bermuda has a diverse arts scene. There are several galleries including the Bermuda National Gallery, which houses the national art collection, the Desmond Fountain Gallery, the Dockyard Glassworks and Picturesque, which showcases Roland Skinner's portfolio.
- The greatest concentration of those pink-tinged beaches are in South Shore Park, the coastal park that runs from Warwick Long Bay to Horseshoe Bay. Notable spots include Jobson Cove and Chaplin Bay. Travellers booking cheap flights to Bermuda should remember that nude and semi-nude bathing is not permitted in Bermuda.
- Other attractions include the Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo, Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute, the Botanical Gardens, lighthouses, and the Crystal Caves with its impressive stalactites and underground saltwater pools.
- Bermuda's top golf links include the Mid-Ocean Club, Port Royal, Castle Harbour, St. George's and Riddell Bay.