Surrounded by three seas, boasting almost 10,000km of coastline and blessed with a fantastic climate, Mexico is one of the most attractive vacation destinations. It's paradise for almost everyone - sun worshipper, surfer, golfer, culture vulture, and party-goer.
Its capital, Mexico City, is a colourful, cultural centre that never seems to slow down. Its resorts are world famous. Cancun on the Caribbean Sea and Acapulco on the Pacific Coast are super resorts, drawing tourists to buy cheap airline tickets to Mexico from around the world. Puerto Vallarta, also on the Pacific, blends a stunning resort setting with an authentically Mexican character. The closest to the U.S., Mazatlan, is known for its laidback vibe and unparalled fishing.
The island of Cozumel is considered a top dive destination. Its neighbour on the coast of Quintana Roo, Playa del Carmen, is no slouch when it comes to diving either and is also a popular cruise-ship stopping point.
In the south, Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo is a perfect mix of a young resort town (Ixtapa) and an old fishing village (Zihuatanejo), while Los Cabos has become a magnet for A-list celebrities, who come to kick back on the Baja California Peninsula.
When to fly to Mexico
In general, the winter months are peak season. Late November to early June is when most visitors arrive on cheap flights to Mexico.
The rainy season is generally low season. It runs June to November.
Mexico insider information
- In Mexico City, do not miss Xochimilco, a village with canals and ancient floating gardens that dates back to pre-Aztec times. A popular pastime for families is to hire a boat for a floating canal party.
- Pack an extra bag on your cheap flights to Mexico City so you can snap up all the bargains you desire. All the smart, high-end stores are in Polanco. The city's markets offer cheaper buys. The Bazar Sabado (Saturdays) at the Plaza San Jacinto, San Angel, sells arts, crafts and paintings.
- One of Mexico's oldest traditions is the bullfight. If you're in Cancun on a Wednesday afternoon, visit the Plaza de Toros for the folkloric show and bullfight. The plaza also hosts a Mexican rodeo.
- Whale watchers head to Puerto Vallarta for the humpback calving season between mid-December and early April. April through December are good months to take dolphin-watching tours.
- In Playa del Carmen, Xcaret is an archaeological site, ecological park and resort often described as a Mayan Eco Disney World. There are several attractions including underground rivers, beach, inlets, butterfly pavilion, and the "Xcaret Mexico Espectacular".
- A great place to go sportsfishing is Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo on Mexico's Pacific Coast. The Pacific Sailfish is the most abundant species in these waters and is available year-round. Blue and Black Marlin swim through between January and July. Dorado or mahi-mahi and yellowfin tuna are make appearances.